lucan sarsfields gaa club
Lucan Sarsfields GAA Club Notes
December 01, 2020
Come On You Girls In Blue!!
Many congratulations to the Dublin Ladies Senior Football team on their win over Armagh to reach the All Ireland Final against either Cork or Galway who play on Sunday 6th December. The Dubs are going for 4-in-a-row in their seventh consecutive All Ireland final appearance. Lucan Sarsfields are represented by Ken Robinson and Paul Casey on Mick Bohan’s backroom team, and by Abby Shiels on the playing panel.
18 year old Abby started playing Ladies Football while in second class in Scoil Mhure National School, Woodview, and continued through secondary in Confey College and now plays for DCU. She was part of the Lucan Sarsfields team that that won FOUR-in-a-row division 1 county titles, the 2016 Dublin Feile and also reached the 2016 National Feile semifinal. When she was only 13, Abby was sent forward for trials with the Dublin U14s and two years later she was called up to the Dublin Senior team panel as a reserve goalkeeper, and has remained there since. Having just completed her last season playing as a forward for the Lucan Sarsfields Minor A team, Abby will be going to her 4th season with the Lucan Sarsfields Intermediate team in 2021. Abby has some advice for the all the clubs younger footballers "Never leave the ball down, even at home, I annoyed my parents bouncing it off the walls, off the doors, all over the house, so never stop." We wish her and her Dublin teammates all the very best of luck for the final.
A reminder to all members and visitors to our club, that Pitch no. 1 (Senior Pitch) is closed to ALL activities, except pitch maintenance.
We do not want all the hard work that was carried out during the lockdowns to be undone.
New Club Executive
The Online AGM took place last Thursday evening, the Executive for 2020
- Chairperson Colm Farrell,
- Vice Chairperson Michael Bowler,
- Secretary Josephine Mahon,
- Asst. Secretary Mary Flannery,
- PRO Paddy Lyons,
- Treasurer Jim Mulqueen,
- Asst. Treasurer Ronan Foley,
- Registrar John Cosgrove,
- Children's Officer Niamh O’Brien,
- Oifigeach Gaeilge Michele Ui Bhuachalla,
- Players Rep. Lorna Sexton.
- Floor Members Deirdre McCormick, Fergal Gavin and Michaela Caseley.
Our grateful thanks to outgoing executive members, Diarmuid Kennedy, Michael Wisdom and Paul Kyne
Lucan Sarsfields Healthy Club
The healthy club are once again collecting donations for the Inner City Helping Homeless Charity.
Cork GAA & CHWC in partnership with The Wellbeing Network, West Cork - Moving Goalposts Online Event
The Panel will discuss the impact of COVID-19 on sporting communities and how people can be proactive about looking after the wellbeing of their communities.
‘This online event will highlight some of the community-minded and creative ways GAA clubs and the organisation have responded to this crisis and ways that players, supporters and the many others involved in sport at grassroots level, can stay connected and positive in the midst of this pandemic where the goalposts are constantly moving.’
Date: Wednesday 9th December - Time: 7.00pm to 8.00pm - Register on Eventbrite at: https://movinggoalposts.
Note: The webinar will be recorded, so if you are interested, but can't attend on Wednesday 9th, please register and a link to the recording will be sent on after the event. For further info: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Health and Wellbeing Staying Connected Webinar:
During this time of uncertainty when we are physically distancing ourselves from others, our friendships and connections have become an even more important part of our lives. It’s so important that we stay connected and keep talking about how we are feeling. With guest speaker Dr. Eddie Murphy, we will discuss tips for how you can stay connected at work and with your friends and family at this time. We also want to share with you what other colleagues say has worked for them, in staying connected. See pdf and jpeg invite attached for sharing by email/social media.
2 December 2020 @12 -1pm; Guest Speaker: Dr Eddie Murphy, Principle Psychologist; Register here for this webinar
Health and Wellbeing Countdown to Christmas Calendar 2020:
HSE Health and Wellbeing have developed a Countdown to Christmas Calendar 2020, see link below to view and download. We want to help you get prepared for the holiday season with daily self-help messages, tips, encouragement and fun. Staying healthy and connected this Christmas is important for all of us, so download the calendar and use the clickable links included in some of the days and on the campaign brands at the bottom for more information about how you can support your health and wellbeing.
Your Countdown to Christmas starts here.
- Public Health Agency – Dealing with worry in difficult times – A booklet to help you in these challenging times - https://www.youtube.
- Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health - COVID19 Resources on Child & Adolescent Mental Health - https://www.acamh.org/blog/
- COVID-Minds Network – November Newsletter covering latest research on Covid-19 and mental health - https://mailchi.mp/
- HSE Health and Wellbeing - Minding Your Wellbeing Programme - https://www2.hse.
Podcasts and webinars:
- HSE Health and Wellbeing – Staying connected in these times (Webinar Dec 2nd at 12.00pm) - https://ims.zoom.
- Future Minds NI - Supporting the mental health and well-being of children and young people in Northern Ireland (Webinar Dec 2nd at 12pm) - https://www.
eventbrite.com/e/futureminds- ni-online-webinar-series- webinar-2-registration- 130018419593
- UCD CHilD Research Centre - The Impact of Covid-19 on Children's Health and Development (Webinar Dec 11th at 9am) - https://ucd-ie.zoom.us/
- National Confidential Inquiry into Suicide and Safety in Mental Health -Suicide risk assessment in UK mental health services: a national mixed-methods study (Discussion with Prof Nav Kapur & Dr Niall Boyce - Recording) - https://www.youtube.com/
- PSYCHED - 5 Ways to a Happy Work Culture, Building Resilience, Challenging Stigma (Recording) - https://www.youtube.com/
- National Suicide Prevention Alliance - Self-Harm prevention during Covid-19 (Recording) - https://www.nspa.org.uk/
Lucan Sarsfields GAA Club Christmas Draw
The Christmas Draw tickets will shortly be distributed. We are asking ALL MEMBERS HOUSEHOLDS to sell just one book (5 tickets) for this to be a HUGE success.
It is a vital fundraiser for the club to ensure we can keep supporting our 140+ teams’ activities.
The first 2500 tickets sold will be automatically entered into the GAA National Club Draw, so get your tickets returned early.
Our sympathies to the McClelland family on the recent death of Margaret Pauline, mother-in-law of Georgina and grandmother of Jessie (Senior Camogie)
“Come and meet your new best friends”
The Lucan District Credit Union Academy for girls and boys born in 2013, 2014 and 2015 only, continues on Saturday.
To register your child for a place, contact David Moran, Club GPO, on 0879267607.
Pre-registration with David is essential as due to Covid guidelines, as only pre-registered children can attend training.
The 12th Lock Café opening hours 6-9pm Monday to Friday and 9:30am to 1:30pm on Saturday.
These times may change in line with Covid-19 guidelines.
Visit the Café’s FaceBook page, https://fb.me/12thLockCafe, to see our special offers and Christmas ideas.
Club Shop December opening hours: Thursdays – 3rd, 10th and 17th 7.00pm – 9.00pm, Saturdays – 5th, 12th, and 19th 9.00am – 5.00pm
Lucan Sarsfields GAA Club Lotto Jackpot €3800.
There was no winner of the €3400 jackpot of the draw held on Thursday 19th November sponsored by Dual Printing.
The numbers drawn were 3, 9, 12, 24. The Lucky Dip winners of €30 each are: Anna Nolan, Eamon Cuggy, Caroline Treanor, Cormac Gordon and Aaron McCormack.
The Jackpot for the next draw at 9pm on December 3rd will be €3800, sponsored by Henley Forklift Group
The draw will be managed by Mary Flannery and will be held behind closed doors and live streamed on our Facebook page.
Make sure your entry is submitted before 6pm to be included in the draw, tickets can be purchased online at the following link:
Thank You for supporting Lucan Sarsfields GAA Club